Getting Started with Caltech Sites
NOTE: This site's instructions apply only to the current Caltech theme. If the header and footer on your site don't look like the ones here, your site uses the old theme.
Here are a few important tips for getting started:
- When you "Add Child Page" the answer is basically always "Interior Page" unless you are doing something very specialized.
- You should probably use the "Left Sidebar Layout" block for the main section of most of your pages. That will give some consistency to your site's pages. In addition, we recommend adding "Sidebar Menu" as the first block in each sidebar section.
- Don't add images or video into a Rich Text field. You will not have many options for sizing or placing them. Instead, use one of the many image or carousel block types; that lets the platform do intelligent things to make the image look good on mobile as well as desktops.
- To prevent the torch in the footer from overlapping with your content, end your page with a "Spacer" block of at least 75px.
- When creating links, always use the page or document chooser. Links created with the choosers get updated if you move the target page or update the document. Only use the "url" or "external link" option for links to other sites or if you need to link to a section of a page.
To find out what blocks are available, look at www.caltech.edu. Most of the blocks you see there are available for use on your web site.
If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and be sure to include a link to the page or site you are inquiring about.